The Health Safety Security and Environment (HSSE) Unit
In accordance with our Vision Statement, “To ensure the highest levels of Safety, Security and Effectiveness in the Trinidad and Tobago Aviation Industry,” and the Guiding Principles of “Safety, Performance, Professionalism and Accountability,” we are committed to maintaining a safe, healthy and productive working environment for all employees and stakeholders.
The Health Safety Security and Environment (HSSE) unit is charged with ensuring fulfilment of this commitment. We ensure that the operations at the Authority is conducted in compliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act, No. 1 of 2004 (as amended by Act, No. 3 of 2006), Environmental Management Act, 2000 and all other applicable international and local laws and regulations.
The following overarching objectives guides the work of the HSSE unit:
- Health & Safety Committee
- HSSE Policies and Procedures Manual
- Maintenance of all relevant certifications for the Authority
- Compliance activities with all applicable regulations
- GAP Analysis to identify significant variances in compliance
Inspections & Audits
- General Safety and Housekeeping
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Firefighting support systems
- First Aid
Hazards and Effect Management
- Risk assessments and job safety analysis
- Incident/Accident Management
- Indoor Air Quality Management
- Critically review and manage Contractor’s performance
Provision of Health & Wellness Support
- Coordinates wellness activities
- Facilitates testing at Wellness Station
- Hosts annual Health & Safety Fair
- Blood Drives, 5K
Training and Competency
- Awareness through the HSSE Newsletter
- Mandatory employee orientation training
- In house training: Emergency Drills, Fire Safety, Office Safety and the facilitation of external training: First Aid & Safety Warden.
- Delivery of Safety Training through the Civil Aviation Training Centre
Emergency Response and Crisis Management
- Development of emergency response plans
- Delivery of training to Safety Wardens and First Aiders
Management of Plant Security Services
- Manage contracted security services throughout the Authority
- Develop Environmental Management System
- Environment Committee
- Liaise with the EMA, Basel Convention and other relevant bodies.
- Coordinate and facilitate green disposal initiatives; ink/toner cartridge disposal, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, paper and plastic bottles.
As a Contracting State of the International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO), Trinidad and Tobago is involved at the United Nations level on Aviation Environmental matters. An Action Plan has been developed and shared with other States on how Trinidad and Tobago will reduce its carbon footprint in aviation. Many different stakeholders are involved in this project on a national and regional level.
Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority
"Provision of a Regulatory Framework to facilitate a Safe, Secure and Effective Aviation Industry and Air Navigation Services within the Piarco Flight Information Region"
Official Business Hours: Administrative and
Regulatory Sections: Mondays – Thursdays: 8:00am to 4:15pm Fridays: 8:00am to 4:00pm
Closed on Weekends, Public Holidays and after business hours. · Air Navigation Services Operations: 24 hour Service every day including Public Holidays.